Wednesday 25 December 2013

The Host - Stephenie Meyer


          Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.

Featuring one of the most unusual love triangles in literature, THE HOST is a riveting and unforgettable novel about the persistence of love and the essence of what it means to be human.


Review:

Stephenie Meyer


         Wow! This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. I was really surprised to see so many negative reviews in goodreads, and I was asking myself,"What else you people want?". This book has everything you expect from a book - love,hate,romance,anger,betrayal,disappointment,hope...This is my first experience with Stephenie Meyer and I must say, I'm really impressed. I'm wondering why I decided to give 'The Twilight Saga' a miss. Maybe I should read those books afterall!

The characters were all beautifully developed! Wanda,Jared,Ian,Jamie,Jeb,Melanie were all likeable. The complicated love triangle between Wanda, Jared and Ian makes for exciting reading. You can never hate Wanderer, the invading soul, no matter how cruel you are. Such a delicate creature that cares almost entirely for others even at the expense of its own life. There are only a few books that have the power to bring tears to your eyes and this is surely one. I could hardly control my tears during the final pages of the book.

The highlight of the book is the way the the humans go from blind hate to blind love for the soul Wanderer. When she first arrives at the desert, the humans almost kill her thinking she is a traitor. Through some intervention from Jeb, she stays alive and the rollercoaster of emotions start. One by one, every person start loving Wanderer and she becomes indispensable to the human community with her altruism and care for others. I was really touched by this character- the pure and unadulterated love showed by the soul to everyone, even to those who hate her is amazing.

Stephenie Meyer is incredibly skilled with emotion; that's her strongest suit. She writes emotion in a way that makes you feel everything the character feels. When the character is in pain, the reader is in pain too. 

Meyer writes love in a way that makes you love everything and everyone the character loves with a strong passion. Even though he was just a character, I loved Jamie as strongly as if he was my own brother. And I was in love with Ian as strongly as if I was Wanda and he was actually real. Stephenie Meyer is a queen of emotion; I don't think anyone can write it like she can.

A Sci-Fi novel for people who hate Sci-Fi! Loved it...



Rating: 4.2/5


No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts You Might Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...